Rules for Vertical Load
Your model should be strong enough to carry a vertical
- Every floor of your model must be able to carry 10 grams for
each square centimetre of its area.
- Your model must be able to carry the required load on all floors
at the same time.
- On the day of the challenge, you can use the weights provided to check
that your model can carry the vertical load.
Applying the Load
When your model is tested on the Shaking-Table
it will be loaded in the following way:
- We will add the vertical load to models using steel blocks., which
we will glue firmly in place.
- Each steel block will be 6.0 x 4.5 x 3.0 cm with a mass of 635 grams.
- The number of blocks placed on each floor will be the lowest
number needed to cover the minimum required mass for that floor.
Fixings for Steel Blocks
- You must provide fixings on your model to show where the blocks will
- Make the space for the blocks slightly larger than required (by about
2mm) to make sure they fit well.
- Make sure that your floor can support the steel blocks.
Before the paper floor is added